All individuals, regardless of age, who participate in darkhouse spearfishing are reminded to register with the North Dakota Game and Fish Department prior to participating.
Free registration is available at the Game and Fish website, gf.nd.gov, or through any Game and Fish Department office.
North Dakota’s darkhouse spearfishing season closes March 15. Legal fish are northern pike and nongame species.
Spearers must have a valid fishing license, except for those under the age of 16.
All waters open to hook-and-line fishing are open to darkhouse spearing except:
- East Park Lake, West Park Lake, Lake Audubon – McLean County
- Heckers Lake – Sheridan County
- Larimore Dam – Grand Forks County
- McClusky Canal
- New Johns Lake – Burleigh County
- Red Willow Lake – Griggs County
- Wood Lake – Benson County
Anglers should refer to the 2016-18 North Dakota Fishing Guide for more information.